The Mannes Orchestra, Guillaume Pirard, and I are in the midst of rehearsals for our graduation concert on Friday, February 21. The orchestra is sounding great and making the repertoire come to life! I hope you’ll join us Friday for the culmination of our graduate studies in conducting; it’ll be an evening of wonderful music inspired by dramatic tales. Falla’s Three Cornered Hat will certainly touch your heart with Spanish soul and passion.
- Friday, 21 February 2020; 7:30pm. Tishman Auditorium, The New School, New York, NY. Bryan presents his graduation concert with the Mannes Orchestra. He will lead the orchestra in a performance of Manuel de Falla’s masterpiece The Three Cornered Hat (complete), a tour de force of Spanish flare and dance music. Free and open to the public. Details are here.
– Bryan Dunnewald, 16 February 2020
This weekend brought some exciting news! I’ve been appointed to the position of Assistant Organist and Choirmaster at Saint Mark’s Church, Philadelphia. Saint Mark’s has been a musical home to me for many years, beginning with my time as Organ Scholar while studying at Curtis and continuing through my appointment as Interim Assistant last September. I’m glad to continue my work with Robert McCormick, Oak Martin, and all the staff at Saint Mark’s on a full-time basis beginning in the Fall. With two full-time musicians, we’ll be able to expand the music department and take on new initiatives as a parish.
I am continually grateful for the support Saint Mark’s gives me and I look forward to all that lies ahead!
– Bryan Dunnewald, 3 February 2020
Rehearsals are underway for the Mannes Orchestra’s final concert of the semester. I’m looking forward to joining David Hayes and conducting Milhaud’s Quatre Chansons de Ronsard, a marvelous piece for soprano and orchestra. Our soloist, Abigail Raiford, has a wonderful approach to the work and the lively accompaniment in the orchestra beautifully reinforces her singing of the text. All three concerti on the program represent different musical styles and show a wide range of virtuosity from the soloists and orchestra alike. I hope you’ll join us on Monday for a great conclusion to the semester!
- Monday, 9 December 2019; 7:30pm. Tishman Auditorium, The New School, New York, NY. Bryan joins David Hayes to conduct the Mannes Orchestra in a performance of great concerti. The program features Milhaud’s Quatre Chansons de Ronsard, Anders Koppel’s Marimba Concerto No. 1, and Logan Vrankovic’s Piano Concerto No. 1. Free and open to the public. Details are here.
– Bryan Dunnewald, 4 December 2019
Later this week I’ll venture up to Binghamton, NY for a concert and workshop presented by the local chapter of the American Guild of Organists. The program features some of my favorite pieces, covering a wide variety of style. The next morning, we’ll gather for a workshop presented by yours truly on economy in music (to borrow a term I first heard from David Hurd). Our discussion will cover practical topics including rehearsal and practice efficiency, great hymn playing at the foundational level, and economical registration, among many others, leading to more philosophical discussions on how we can use this approach to influence our lives as artists. I hope you’ll join us for one or both of these events!
- Friday, 18 October 2019; 7:30pm. United Presbyterian Church, Binghamton, NY. Bryan will give a recital sponsored by the Binghamton Chapter of the American Guild of Organists that features the Guilbault-Thérien organ. Details are forthcoming and a program can be found here.
- Saturday, 19 October 2019; 9:30am. United Presbyterian Church, Binghamton, NY. Bryan will present a workshop: Economy in our Musical Lives. Open to the public.
– Bryan Dunnewald, 14 October 2019
The orchestra is already back at work after an exciting performance of Mendelssohn and Beethoven. This week, my colleague Bryant Denmark and I are conducting the Mannes Orchestra in a performance of works by female composers associated with Mannes – one of them, Kim, a current student! I will lead her piece in its world premiere performance along with the Beyer. These are wonderful works and I hope you’ll join us Monday for another afternoon performance.
- Monday, 7 October 2019; 3:00pm. Tishman Auditorium, The New School, New York, NY. Bryan conducts the Mannes Orchestra with his colleagues in a performance featuring works of Johanna Beyer, Ruther Crawford Seeger, and Haeyun Kim. Free and open to the public. Details are here.
– Bryan Dunnewald, 1 October 2019